First Day Of Spring
The first day of spring is known as the Vernal Equinox, which typically falls on March 20th or 21st each year in the northern hemisphere. However, in 2024, spring arrives a day earlier, on March 19. On this day, the hours of daylight and nighttime are equal, and from this day forward, the days will start to become longer than the nights as we move closer to summer.
Spring is a wonderful time for children to get outside and enjoy the warmer weather and longer daylight hours. Here are some fun activities that children can do on the first day of spring:
- Plant seeds: With the arrival of spring, it's the perfect time to start planting seeds. Children can learn about the plant life cycle and take responsibility for watering and caring for their plants as they grow.
- Go on a nature walk: Take a walk outside and encourage children to observe the signs of spring. Point out the budding flowers, trees, and animals that are waking up from hibernation.
- Create art with flowers: Collect flowers and use them to make art such as a flower crown or a pressed flower picture.
- Have a picnic: Spring is a great time to enjoy the outdoors, so why not pack a picnic and head to a park or beach? Bring along some healthy snacks and games to play together. Enjoy the warmer weather and longer days by having a picnic in the park or backyard.
- Play outdoor games: Organize games such as tag, hide and seek, or kickball with friends or family. Take advantage of the windy weather that often comes with spring and fly a kite.
- Make bird feeders: Encourage children to help care for birds by making their own bird feeders. You can use materials like pine cones, peanut butter, and birdseed to create a simple yet effective feeder.
Overall, the first day of spring is a great opportunity for children to get outside and explore nature. With a little creativity, there are plenty of fun activities that children can do to celebrate the arrival of spring.
- March 02: National Read Across America Day. Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss
- March 17: St. Patrick's Day
- March 19: First Day of Spring
- March 29: Good Friday
- March 31: Happy Easter
Calendar of Events